There was a ton of informative and helpful information in the readings this week. All of the readings were based around students getting stuck on individual words in their readings, and how to help and coach them to read the word correctly. Many different tips were explained in the articles. "Chunking" was mentioned multiple times - this is when students put letters together to make familiar chunks in words they cannot figure out. The book emphasizes that when children are first learning to read and write, we have to remember that their brains responses to the words are not going to be automatic like ours are. We literally have to teach them how to read and comprehend each individual chunk and sound in the word.
I really enjoyed reading about the activities in Yopp's article. I like the fact that they reached out to auditory, visual, and kinesthetic learners. I got a lot out of Clark's article "What can I say besides 'sound it out'? The title alone grabbed my attention, because in my own experience with working with students on reading, "sound it out" is a phrase I find myself saying a lot. I get frustrated because that was the only way I was familiar with in trying to help the student hear the sounds the word makes. This article taught me that for young students, reading is so much more than sounding individual letters out. And we, as educators have to be able to "analyze a word and generate appropriate clues" (Clark 445). Clues such as asking them to identify chunks, covering an ending to a word, or covering the word so that they only see half at a time are all useful in coaching students.
Very insightful, Danielle! I think many teachers find themselves relying heavily on "sound it out". I know I did! These other strategies will be great for you to try out with your class in the fall.
ReplyDeleteI can definitely relate with you, Danielle! When I'm with students that are struggling to decode words, I automatically revert to "sound it out". I am even experiencing this now, during the summer, when I read to the boy that I babysit before bed. He has lots of small books that are designed for beginning readers and I am constantly reminding him to sound words out. I'm excited to put what we learned in the readings and in class today to practice! The readings were very insightful and helped me to widen my scope as far as teaching phonemic awareness and phonics goes. I really liked that Yopp and Yoop's article provided for the visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners, too!
ReplyDelete